Pagan Blog Project 2014

Friday, January 10, 2014

A is for Anu

"All things grow and change in their own time. Be as the tree, deeply rooted in the earth, yet ever reaching toward the heavens. In winter the tree may lose its leaves and sleep for a time, but the tree knows spring will always come again and bring new beginnings and growth."

-Celtic Lore & Spellcraft of the Dark Goddess-

While not directly linked to the Arthurian Tradition, the Goddess Anu is present. One might have to search for the deep symbolism, and yet its still there. The Morrigan is ever present in the character of Morgaine le Fey. Some believe that Morgaine's strong connection to magic within the tales makes this connection. Whatever the case may be, The Morrigan is deeply rooted in the Celtic belief and folklore. The Morrigan consists of a triad of goddesses, and is always referred to as The Morrigan, when a whole. As a symbol of the Triple Goddess, there are the goddesses Anu, Badb, and Macha. The Goddess Anu remains one of the most well known and sacred goddesses of the Celtic Tradition and the triad. .

Anu is the Virgin Goddess within the triad, and as such is associated with the earth itself. Ireland was at times referred to as the Land of Anu, The Paps of Anu reflect this, as they remain some of the only proof left of the goddess's importance. While her name means plenty or wealth, there is a lack of traditions left to reveal the goddess's secrets. What we do know is that Anu was a goddess of fertility, and linked to the crops and cattle of the land. In some regions, Anu was known as one of the daughters of Ernmas, a she farmer. It's interesting to note that Anu is said to be one of three daughters, perhaps furthering that she is a Triple Goddess aspect. Though there are three goddesses, their names remain the same.

The earth itself is a link to Anu, no matter where one is. She is pictured with soil colored eyes, and clothes as green as the plants. Often she is pictured under an age old tree, a symbol of herself. A parallel can be made to the  character of Morgaine le Fey here as well. Anu is said to find apples as sacred to her, and so the tree depicted with her is often that of an apple tree. Morgaine's character is linked to Avalon, which is known too as the Isle of Apples. Both are said to be the keeper of a cauldron, a cauldron that reveals to those who drink from it the very future. It's said that if you meditate and seek the Goddess Anu, you will find her there among the apple trees, stirring her great cauldron that perhaps sustains all life.

For myself, the Goddess Anu came into my life only recently. While reading about Druidry, some books suggested taking a teacher. This teacher was to be a goddess and a god, and each were to stem from Celtic origins. At first this seemed easy to me, as The Morrigan first came to mind. It was The Morrigan that started this shift for me, and also was the inspiration for the name I go by in Pagan circles. Not wanting to jump to conclusions, I read more about the Celtic god/desses. To my surprise, I started to feel a strong connection to the Goddess Danu. This caused a great problem for me, as I felt loyal to both The Morrigan and Danu. Seeking more advice, I sat down and meditated.

As I meditated, I began to picture a great river. I walked to it, and sat on the water's very surface. It was then I began to feel attached to the water, felt myself anchored by roots that went deep into the earth. There was a peace there, and I looked across into the woods beyond. There was Anu, stirring the great cauldron, only I didn't know her as Anu. It wasn't until I drank from the cauldron that Anu's name came into my mind. That had been the last of the meditation, a meditation that seemed like days. After that, I quickly took to reading more of the books I had purchased on Celtic beliefs in general.

In one of them, I found Anu's name, which linked her not only to the Morrigan, but to Danu as well. While Danu is a river goddess, Anu is linked to the earth. It became clear for me that was the element I work with most, and so the aspect made sense. I've learned that while we may want certain teachers along our path, the ones that come to us reveal themselves for a reason. Worshiping one aspect of The Morrigan doesn't take away from the wonder of the whole. Sitting, on the cold earth that will be warm come summer, also reminds me that Danu is there too, in the heart of Anu. For the roots that reach deep, drink from the sacred spring that nurtures all life, the water of Danu.

No comments:

Post a Comment