Pagan Blog Project 2014

Friday, January 3, 2014

A is for Arthurian

"Listen, strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government."
     -Monty Python and the Holy Grail- 

One might begin to wonder what Monty Python has to do with a blog like this, and you're right to wonder. For me though, that quote was my first introduction to King Arthur. It wouldn't be until many years later that such a line even made sense to me. I didn't know who the Lady of the Lake was, or why Excalibur was so important, or even what government they were truly talking about. All I knew was that I loved history, literature, and movies. Now I look back and can laugh at the ignorance of my childhood. As strange as it may sound, I've become familiar with the Arthurian Legends and incorporated them into my own Pagan traditions. 

The Arthurian Tradition, within Paganism, uses the myths and legends of King Arthur to relate to the divine. That's the least complicated definition I could think of, hopefully it works. My introduction to this tradition started with a set of oracle cards I purchased. In the Camelot Oracle, the author, John Matthews, explains how each of the characters relates to an aspect of life. The book also suggests ways of meditating with each character from the myth, and so this was my first real way of incorporating the Arthurian Tradition into my own practice. I was surprised to find that to me, it didn't seem strange to work with "fictional" characters. 

I felt spiritually at ease with these characters, especially those of The Lady of the Lake, Morgana, Lancelot, and Arthur. Such an ease prompted me to do more research into this tradition, and I sadly found little. I did find out many interesting historical facts though, which surprised me quite a bit. It brought up an interesting point too, the line between legend and truth are so blurred it might make little difference. I learned that I even prefer to think in terms of the mystical. A place like Avalon could exist, and it could indeed be the resting place of not only King Arthur, but many other legendary heroes, rulers, and god/desses as well. 

In Celtic lore, it is said that sometimes a god sleeps. He waits to be awakened, and one day bring knowledge, power, and relief to his followers. This god is often called The Sleeping God, and I have yet to find such an attribute placed on a goddess. Occasionally, this aspect stems to heroes so great, they become as powerful as the gods, in the eyes of the people. King Arthur is one of those people, he is said to sleep in Avalon. With his sleep is the promise that one day he will return, and unite us all. Such a legend seems unlikely, but it brings for me, a special magikal element to this tradition. 

To add perhaps a new spin to the Arthurian Legends, is the subject of Fionn MacCumhal. When it comes to Irish lore Fionn MacCumhal is parallel to that of King Arthur. In fact, some believe it is Arthur that was used to incorporate Celtic gods to a broad Christian audience. It is Fionn that is credited with destroying all the snakes in Ireland, well before Saint Patrick. Besides the parallels to Arthur's direct adventures, Fionn is the bringer of knowledge and wisdom to the people he rules over. Personally, I'm quite fond of the stories of Fionn MacCumhal. They resonate with me, and they are but a step of this growing process.

For fear of rambling too much, I will conclude by saying that the Arthurian Tradition is vast. While there may be a lack of agreed upon facts, the legends live on. The characters call out to us, sharing with us their own ancient knowledge. Whether this knowledge is to be taken at face value, or is purely symbolic, remains for the listener to decide. What I have come to know is the purity of this ancient knowledge. I have learned that all stories are connected, even spanning into the religious walks of others. It is in that moment that we may all come to share in the magik circle, perhaps even in the shadows of Avalon. 

3 comments:

  1. love Monty Python...them crazy britts wish i lived in King Arthur's time. history would have been different if along with little john there was even smaller tom thrown into the mix...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still debating if Arthur is better understood as a God or an Ancestor. The tradition is so extensive, it's great to research. I love the cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cards are beautiful! :D and the post isn't bad either ;) I would love to hear more on this topic in the near future! :D so if you manage to incorporate it into the PB project, that would be great! :D

    ReplyDelete